Powder coating involves the application of dry powder through an electrostatic process under heat. It can be applied to various surfaces, including plastic, steel, concrete, and metal. There are mainly two types of powder coating; thermoplastics and thermosets. Equipment used for powder coating includes Hopper- Fed Powder Coating Guns, powder coating ovens, powder spray booths, and automated powder coating.
Factors to consider when choosing powder coating equipment
When choosing powder coating equipment to use, the following factors should be put into consideration.
- Frequency of powder coating- If powder coating is an everyday activity, investing in buying the equipment will be the best option. If the equipment is used occasionally, then hiring when there’s a need will be the best option.
- Cost to be incurred– in considering the cost, it will be cheaper, in the long run, to buy high-quality equipment at a high price when there are plans to use the equipment for the long term. It is important to source the best distributor to get durable equipment.
- Availability of space– when choosing powder coating equipment, the available space for use must be considered. Consider the size of the tools to be used, the available personnel, and the largest item you are planning to coat.
- Quality- The best quality is usually the most expensive. When choosing powder coating equipment, please select the best quality since it will be more durable.
Advantages of using powder coating equipment
When the above considerations are put in place when choosing the best powder coating equipment, several advantages of using powder coating will be realized as discussed below:
- Consistency in the color finish- Powder coating gives a consistent color finish when applied on different surfaces such as steel, plastics, and metal.
- Environmental friendly- This is achieved since there is minimal overspray with powder coating, and there are eco-friendly options since powder spray is reusable and recyclable.
- Protection against rust and chipping- Powder coating makes surfaces less likely to be eroded, chipped, or faded.
- Less flammable and non-toxic: When compared to wet spray finishes, powder painting is less flammable and non-toxic
- Wide range of finishes- A wide variety of finishes can be achieved when powder coating is used on various sources.
- Cost effectiveness-The powder coating process is normally automated; this allows for minimal engagement of human labor, which, as you know, can seriously lead to high operational costs.
- Safety-Powder coatings are usually free from VOC materials and solvents, which pose serious threats to the life of any human being. On the other hand, materials with wet paints are usually carcinogenic and full of organic compounds that can easily snap the life out of someone.
Powder coating is considered one of the most durable and long-lasting finishes available. Therefore, it is important to invest in the best available equipment available in the market for one to get the best finish. It is the most economical way to achieve a long-lasting and color-durable finish as well. Remember that for your house to achieve a high level of class and beauty, there is a need to focus on doing and exceptional finishing with the high-quality painting technique.