Attending school internationally – especially in one of the Global Indian International School’s campuses – can be a fantastic opportunity for students. It gives them a global perspective and an educational advantage that will open doors for them in the years to come. For those bound for post-secondary education, there are few things more advantageous!
However, international education can be expensive. Between educational expenses and those associated with boarding, parents are left struggling to cover these costs. This is why secondary school scholarship opportunities – like the Global Citizen Scholarship for International Students – exist.
What is the GCS Scholarship?
The Global Citizen Scholarship for International Students is a two-year financial assistance award designed to help students who are interested in attending the Global International Indian School in Kuala Lumpur. It is designed to cover tuition and boarding expenses for students attending years 11 and 12 at any of the Kuala Lumpur GIIS campuses who have demonstrated exemplary academic performance in multiple areas. The goal is to help students complete their secondary education with the best possible opportunities and education.
Who is Eligible for the GCS Scholarship?
The GCS scholarship at this CBSE and IGCSE school is available only to students who are currently in year 10 of secondary school or have just completed it. Students who are currently in year 11 or 12 will not be considered for the award. It is also geared toward international students, so expatriate families and international students are considered before any domestic Malaysian students’ entries. Students from the following areas are eligible to apply for the GCS award:
- ASEAN countries, such as Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Myanmar, Singapore, and Malaysia itself
- South Asian nations, such as Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, India, etc.
- The Gulf countries, such as the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, etc.
- Countries from the European Union, such as Germany, Italy, France, and others
Students from or currently residing in other areas are not eligible for consideration. Please keep this in mind when considering an application for your child.
A student’s academic performance in previous secondary school years and their Class 10 board exam scores are taken into account. This ensures that students who show academic promise will have the opportunity to advance their education and secure a better future than their current economic situation might allow. The award amount that a student is eligible to receive is directly correlated to the level of performance in these areas that they’ve been able to demonstrate.
What Does the GCS Scholarship Award Provide?
The award amount granted by the GCS scholarship has two main categories. They are as follows, including eligibility criteria for each:
Category A – This award category covers 100% of academic and boarding fees for winners.
- Students who have completed their Class10 pre-board or board exams with a score of 85% or higher are eligible to apply. Seats for this award are limited, so the scholarship committee will use their educated discretion to offer the scholarship to students, typically in descending order with 85% being the cutoff.
- Additionally, students under the CBSE, ICSE, state, and other boards with a score of at least 94% are eligible. IGSCE or GCSE “O”-level students must have an “A” in all eight subjects.
Category B – This award category covers 75% of academic and boarding fees for winners.
- To apply, students must have completed their year ten pre-board or board exams with a score of 85% or higher. Seats for this award are limited, so the scholarship committee will use their educated discretion to offer the scholarship to students, typically in descending order with 85% being the cutoff.
- Additionally, students under the CBSE, ICSE, state, and other boards should have a score of 93-94%. IGSCE or GCSE “O”-level students must have an “A” in seven subjects.
How Can You or Your Student Apply?
Now that you see what a great opportunity the Global Citizen Scholarship for International Students is, how can you or your child apply? Follow these steps to be considered for the award:
- Step one – Begin by filling out and submitting an application online. You should submit relevant academic documents and Class 10 Board examination scores at this time. Failure to submit proper documentation means that your application cannot and will not be considered, so be sure that you submit all the required documents at once.
- Step two – Within ten business days, you will receive a notification alerting you that your application has been received and is being processed. This is not a notification of award receipt. This is to let you know that your application is in consideration, and no further action is needed from you or your student to complete this phase of the process.
- Step three – Scholarship assessment will be conducted online.
- Step four – One-on-one interviews will be conducted. These may be in-person or via online video calls, depending on current health and safety standards. Additionally, there may be more than one round of interviews, depending on the number of applicants.
- Step five – After all applications are considered, winners will be chosen and notified. After this, award amounts will be disbursed to the appropriate locations. Keep in mind that the award amounts are to be used only to cover academic and boarding expenses and not be released as cash payments.
For more information and to begin the application process, visit the GIIS Kuala Lumpur website today!